January 6: Social gathering
2004 Sep 28 00:06

Re: [vox-tech] Installing a desktop upon my laptop

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 12:28:57PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ken Bloom (kabloom@ucdavis.edu):
>
> > I don't know anything about this. I haven't needed to Debian hardware
> > detection in a while.
>
> o  discover: hardware identification system (thank you, Progeny Systems, Inc.)
> o  mdetect: mouse device autodetection tool
> o  read-edid: hardware information-gathering tool for VESA PnP monitors
> o  sndconfig: sound configuration (thank you, Red Hat Software, Inc.)
> o  hotplug: USB/PCI device hotplugging support, and network autoconfig
> o  nictools-nopci: Diagnostic tools for many non-PCI ethernet cards
> o  nictools-pci: Diagnostic tools for many PCI ethernet cards
> o  mii-diag: A little tool to manipulate network cards

If debian-installer doesn't run all of these, then perhaps someone
should suggest that they make a "Autodetect hardware" task in tasksel.

> <SNIP introduction that these are reasons for being slow>
> 2.  The fact that Debian, by default, does _not_ do prelinking of
> binaries, stripping of debugging symbols from binaries, and tweaking of
> most binaries' compilation options for the exact CPU architecture,
> omitting frame pointers, etc.  Let's take those one at a time:
>
> <SNIP prelinking>
>
> b) Stripping.  Stripped binaries are smaller, hence faster to load.
> They're also completely impossible to get debugging information from,
> if/when a bug blows them out of memory.  People who try to actually
> _maintain_ a distribution tend to think that running stripped binaries
> is a bad tradeoff.
>
> <SNIP optimizations>

Most package maintainers strip their binaries with dh_strip, but
sometimes when I run into a bug (most annoyingly GNOME application
crashes) I wish they didn't strip, so I could send them all of the bug
reports as they occur, rather than needing to recompile the binary to
do it (something I never do).