2004 Sep 24 13:44

Re: [vox-tech] "bring to front" X-window command

On Fri 24 Sep 04, 12:53 PM, Mark K. Kim <lugod@cbreak.org> said:
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>
> > possible).  I was hoping for a low level X-windows system call, but I
> > just realized windows management is going to depend on the specific
> > windows-manager. ;)  Oh well.
>
> I'm not sure if that's true.  I'm sure at least a window can *request* to
> be placed a certain way to the window manager.  As an example, try
> grabbing a window screen shot using Gimp or XV -- I think those apps bring
> the window to the front before it takes the snapshots.  If those apps can
> shuffle windows that they don't even own, I'm sure you can do it with the
> windows you do own.
>
> -Mark

Mark, I think that is true.  Window stacking is a function of the window
manager.  Determining which part of a window needs to be refreshed when it
gets 'dirty', I think, is the responsibility of the wm.

Also, my gimp doesn't bring the window to the foreground when I take a
screenshot.  But even if it did, how do you know that the request was made to
X and not the window manager?  Maybe it sends signals to the window manager
via X.

Pete