2004 Sep 24 01:28

Re: [vox-tech] rsync question

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 12:20:22AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> 1.  rsync uses as default network transport whatever is /usr/bin/rsh on
> your system.  Because ssh/scp were designed to be a drop-in
> replacement for rsh/rcp, it's exactly the sort of thing you can specify
> as a substitute "remote shell" (substitute rsh) utility, using either
> the -e option or the RSYNC_RSH environment variable.

Similar to CVS_RSH, which I use often :)

> 2.  As Henry said, you could probably use netcat for that.  ;->

You people scare me.

> In addition to the above, you might try connecting without a remote
> shell, by setting up rsync to run in daemon mode on one end, in which
> case it accepts network connections on 873/tcp.  Might be faster.
>
> (Me, I just use wget when I'm in a hurry.)

rsync's a little more robust if the connection dies, though, right?
Or is wget pretty smart, too?

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com                            New Breed Software
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/       Tux Paint 0.9.14 -- Coming soon!