2004 Sep 24 00:20

Re: [vox-tech] rsync question

På torsdag, 23 september 2004, skrev Peter Jay Salzman:
> I need to transfer about 40GB between computers.
>
> I'm tired of using scp because it's slow.  I've heard that rsync is faster,
> but I've never used rsync before today.  I just played around with it, and it
> appears to have the same kind of syntax that scp uses.

It is similar. Watch out for the delete option, though --- you can easily
mess up your remote file system in ways that you cannot with scp.

> A quick read through the man page says that rsync defaults to using ssh, so
> I'm curious why it would be faster than using scp.

It is designed for synchronizing directory structures that possibly contain
duplicate files or partially duplicted files. It achieves a speedup relative
to scp by transferring only the difference between files.

> Is there a way of telling rsync (or scp for that matter) to use a
> non-encrypted connection?  Is there such a thing as a NULL encryption for
> ssh?

You can use rsh as the underlying protocol instead.

> I'm behind a strong firewall, I trust all the systems in my office, and I
> want to transfer files as quickly as possible.  What's the fastest method of
> transfering 20GB between two systems on a trusted network?

Probably netcat ;-).

--
Henry House