2004 Sep 20 20:10

Re: [vox-tech] VM Ware questions

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Rod Roark wrote:

> On Monday 20 September 2004 03:41 pm, Mark K. Kim wrote:
[snip]
> > Way back when VMWare first came out, I installed the trial
> > version and was able to run Windows (either 95 or 98, don't remember) from
> > Linux on a dual-boot machine without re-installing Windows.
> >
> > There was a slight issue, though, which was that all the hardware was
> > virtualized into different hardware models, so Windows thought I had
> > changed all my hardware, and Windows installed some new drivers.  And when
> > I booted into Windows directly without VMWare, it reinstalled the other
> > drivers again.
>
> That would not be acceptable to me.  Not to mention I've
> seen Windows die very badly while trying to recover from a
> motherboard upgrade.

Well, as I mentioned, you can set VMWare so any change made in a session
does not get written to the disk.  The changes are stored separately by
VMWare, and you can either tell it to commit the changes to the permanent
partition or discard it.  Upon a bad failure of anything, you can tell
VMWare to discard the changes.

But if that's not acceptable for you either, then I guess VMWare isn't for
you.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim