2004 Sep 21 00:47

Re: [vox-tech] Debian Sarge, Video and Monitor Configuration

Re: [vox-tech] Debian Sarge, Video and Monitor Configuration

The refresh rate is in /etx/X11/XF86Config-4, under the monitor section:

  Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Panasonic"
        HorizSync       30-100
        VertRefresh     50-160       <---- here; apparently my monitor
        Option          "DPMS"             can handle 50Hz to 160Hz
  EndSection

For LCD monitors, though, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what refresh
rate you use -- it ends up being 60Hz.  Maybe I'm wrong, but LCD monitors
are all very similar in its refresh rate.  It'll make a difference if you
plug in an external CRT monitor to your laptop, though then your refresh
rate will depend on the external monitor's capability.

-Mark

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Jay Strauss wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just installed Sarge on an IBM A20 Thinkpad (2652 3CU).  During the
> install,
> during the X configuration, it asked (using the medium selection), what my
> monitor was capable of:
>     1600x1200 @ 60Hz
>     1600x1200 @ 70ish Hz
>     1600x1200 @ 85Hz
>
> I picked @60 Hz, I now realize my ATI mobility rage card operates at 85Hz
>
> Where do I change that value to 85?  Its not in my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
> file,
> and I can't think of anywhere else to look.
>
> Also, can someone suggest where I can find the exact Vertical and Horizontal
> rates for my monitor?  I've been googling and searching around IBM's
> website, but can't find it
>
> Thanks
> Jay

Mark K. Kim