2004 Sep 19 19:37

Re: [vox-tech] Cyrus-imap and qmail -- RESOLVED

Re: [vox-tech] Cyrus-imap and qmail -- RESOLVED

Hi All:

I wrote this a while back, and I thought I would post my resolution:

Permissions were the problem the entire time (another error I was
getting was deferral: standard in must be a tty).  All I needed to do
was a) run qmail-smtpd as cyrus <or> b) run deliver as suid cyrus (this
is what I did, for simplicity's sake, and maybe a security hole).  The
problem was that lmtpd only accepts from cyrus user, and since
qmail-smtpd runs as qmails (as per the lwq install instructions), it
was erroring out.

Hope that helps someone besides myself,

jan

--- Jan W <jcwynholds@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> I am trying to paste together this email system on FC2, and I have
> hit a snag:
>
> I have qmail running and configured and accepting mail.
>
> I have cyrus-imapd running and happy.
>
> I have a nice little wrapper script to deliver mail from qmail into
> cyrus
> mailboxes (qmail2cyrus).
>
> The problem comes when I am trying to deliver from qmail to the cyrus
> mailboxes, I get an error of:  cannot deliver to mailbox: permission
> denied.
>
> more precisely:
>
> deferral: couldn't_connect_to_lmtpd:_Permission_denied_/
> 421_4.3.0_deliver:_couldn't_connect_to_lmtpd_/
>

> I am not sure why deliver is giving me permission denied.  I am still
> hunting
> for the answer, but I was hoping someone would know something more
> than i do
> about this.  Should I run the qmail2cyrus as root or cyrus or qmail?
> I'll keep
> hunting, but if anyone could give a bit of advice... it would be
> vastly
> appreciated.
>
> --tia
>
> jan

=====
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders
of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple
matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist
dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship.
Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding
of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they
are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism,
and exposing the country to greater danger.
     --Hermann Goering