2004 Sep 11 10:57

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] JavaScript / HTML Help: Popup windows and forms

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] JavaScript / HTML Help: Popup windows and forms

You can use Javascript to open up a popup window from the main window.
The popup window can close itself with Javascript (using the "onSubmit="
attribute I think).  Those are simple enough.

The tricky part is getting the popup window (before it closes itself) to
make the main window load a new page.  You can do that also with
Javascript and the "onSubmit" attribute, by referencing the popup window's
parent window (which gets defined automatically when the main window
creates the popup window) and telling that parent window to load a new
address.  I'm sure you can find the right commands for it easily on
Google; I think that's how I found it last time.  Let me know if you can't
figure it out and I'll try to dig up some code.

-Mark

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Richard Crawford wrote:

> I've seen this done, so I know it's possible.  What I'd like to be able
> to do is the following:
>
> Have a main browser window, say index.php.  On this page is a list of
> names or other information plus a link that reads "Add your name".
> Clicking on the link opens up a popup window with a form for users to
> enter their information.  When they click "submit", then the form
> information is submitted, the popup window closes, and the main page
> refreshes to show the new added information.
>
> I've looked in my JavaScript and DHTML resources but can't find
> something that directly addresses this question.  Anyone have any ideas?
>
> --
> Slainte,
> Richard S. Crawford (http://www.mossroot.com AIM: Buffalo2K)
> Fitness blog: http://www.mossroot.com/02h
> The Literate Penguin: http://www.mossroot.com/lp
> "You can't trust your judgement if your imagination is
> out of focus."  --Mark Twain

Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius
Homepage: http://www.cbreak.org/