2004 Sep 10 14:35

Re: [vox-tech] CD-RW's Don't Last

I've had quite a bit of trouble with CDRWs myself, so I don't really trust them any more. There are so many factors: burn speed, burn type (iso, multisession, udf), CD-burner, CD-reader etc. I had some old 4X CDRWs that worked OK, but after awhile multisession writes became unreadable. I was about to chuck them whe I decided to test a single closed burn: that worked no problem. About the same time I began to doubt the reliability of my cd-burner, so who knows. I should try again with my latest SONY DVDRW drive.

Jonathan

Robert G. Scofield wrote:
I've been using Memorex and Yamaha ultra speed 24X CD-RW's to back up my work files. They are not lasting. They seem to die after about 3 or 4 or 5 burns. In fact they've gone so quickly that I at first thought my CD reader was not working I can't risk not having my work backed up because the CD goes bad.

Yesterday I tried a CD-R and backed things up and my CD reader could read the back up.

So has anybody had a problem with ultra speed CD-RW's not lasting?
Do the slower CD-RW's last longer?

I had to waste resources, but I'm thinking of switching to CD-R's to back up my work. Does anybody have an opinion on this?

Thank you.

Bob