2004 Aug 27 14:36

Re: [vox-tech] Identifying the directory that contains the currentlyrunning executable?

Re: [vox-tech] Identifying the directory that contains the currentlyrunning executable?

/proc/$PID/cwd will give the current working directory as a symlink.

If you're trying to do this with C/C++, then you can use lstat(2) and readlink(2) to get the information.

In a bash script, $0 will give you the argument used to invoke the script. If it was invoked with a full path, then you can use dirname to get the directory.

i.e.
MYDIR = `/usr/bin/dirname $0`

Otherwise you can iterate through the elements in $PATH and look for the executable. I don't remember how to do that, maybe somebody else does.

-- Mitch