January 6: Social gathering
2004 Aug 27 11:31

[vox-tech] Identifying the directory that contains the currentlyrunning executable?

[vox-tech] Identifying the directory that contains the currentlyrunning executable?

Is there a way to identify the directory that contains the currently
running executable, so that I can programmatically refer to it?
i.e. if I am running /usr/bin/myprog, but pwd is /home/bloom, how can
I programmatically get either the pathname '/usr/bin' or
'/usr/bin/myprog'. (This question asks about a C program).

Is there a way to identify the directory that contains the currently
running script in bash? i.e. if I'm running /home/bloom/bin/foo in
/bin/bash, and pwd is /home/bloom, how can I programmatically get
either /home/bloom/bin/foo or /home/bloom/bin to refer to it?
(This would be particularly nice when using calling `java -classpath`
from a shell script wrapper)

Are there ways to do this in other scripting languages (e.g. perl)?

My key was last signed 08/18/2004. If you use GPG *please* see me about