2004 Aug 27 10:28

Re: Fwd: Re: [vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver:solved

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 01:36:51PM -0700, ashleigh smythe wrote:
> Hi vox-tech readers,
> 	For those of you who were following and helping out with my saga of
> upgrading woody to sarge, I wanted to let you know that the problem is
> solved.  I resorted to a fresh install of sarge - I know it's a brute
> force solution and I shouldn't have had to do it, but I was running out
> of time for trouble shooting.  With the new install the xserver started
> no problem.  The only hitch was configuring my dial-up as the installer
> insisted I give my system an ip, even though my dial up just assigns one
> dynamically.  So I cleverly made one up to allow the installation to
> continue, only later to spend a couple hours not so cleverly trying to
> figure out how to get rid of it and let the ip be dynamically assigned.
> I did finally figure it out.  Now I have the system up and running and
> am able to work on configuring my usb mouse (ps2 mouse works fine) and
> printer at my leisure.
>
> So a huge thanks to everybody for their help and suggestions - some of
> you really went beyond the call of duty and I appreciate it.
>
> Ashleigh

You wouldn't happen to be able to figure out what the difference in
configuration was this time around, would you? If so, you should send
it debian as a bug report (using the reportbug package). They want to
know these things as they are coming very close to stabilizing sarge.

My key was last signed 08/18/2004. If you use GPG *please* see me about