2004 Aug 26 13:34

Re: [vox-tech] removal of postgresql

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 07:34:00PM -0700, Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
> Thanks Kevin for telling me about dpkg -S . When I run it, it lists:
> "
> postgresql: /etc/cron.d/postgresql
> postgresql-client: /etc/postgresql/postgresql.env
> postgresql: /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf
> postgresql: /etc/init.d/postgresql
> postgresql-contrib: /etc/logrotate.d/postgresql-contrib
> postgresql: /etc/logrotate.d/postgresql
> postgresql: /etc/logcheck/ignore.d.paranoid/postgresql
> postgresql-client: /usr/share/doc/postgresql-client
> postgresql: /etc/logcheck/violations.ignore.d/logcheck-postgresql
> postgresql: /etc/logcheck/ignore.d.server/postgresql
> postgresql: /etc/logcheck/ignore.d.workstation/postgresql
> postgresql: /etc/postgresql
> postgresql: /etc/postgresql/pg_ident.conf
> ". It used to list a lot more, like docs, but I did apt-get remove on
> their associated packages. When I did "apt-get remove postgresql-doc" it
> said it couldn't remove /usr/share/doc/postgresql because it wasn't
> empty. I don't see why that should be a problem for apt-get, but
> /usr/share/doc/postgresql and /usr/share/doc/postgresql-client are still
> there. But now package postgresql-doc seems removed from the dpkg
> listing. The above listed files are all that dpkg lists matched against
> "postgresql", so I suppose there could be more in files that don't have
> "postgresql" in their pathname. I did "apt-get remove" on each of the
> packages listed above, and apt-get said they were not installed. I tried
> deleting a few by hand, especially the cron one because it was harassing
> me, but it is still listed by dpkg. Is the apt-get/dpkg contradiction a
> real bug? Do you think I should just try installing from source? Thanks.
> Nick

It looks like there are still configuration files around.

Configuration files can be removed at the time that a package is
uninstalled by running `apt-get --purge remove' or `dpkg --purge'.
After you have already uninstalled the package, you can remove its
files with `dpkg --purge' (apt-get won't work for that purpose
anymore).

I don't know why a cronjob in /etc/cron.d, or a startup script in
/etc/init.d would be marked as a conffile though. Is that perhaps a
packaging bug?

My key was last signed 08/18/2004. If you use GPG *please* see me about