2004 Aug 25 19:34

Re: [vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver

Re: [vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

This is from Ashleigh's X logs. I've snipped the thing which are not
relevent. She's using 4.3.0.1.

> (WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic" does not exist.

Not relevent to your problem, but you may want to comment out a line in
/etc/XF86Config-4 which looks like:

Fontpath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"

> (WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)

Not relevent to your problem. If the file /dev/apm_bios exists, then you
either need to load a module or rebuild the kernel.

I had the same warning a few months ago. Can't remember what the precise
kernel config is, but it's googlable. In any event, this isn't a show
stopper. It just prevented me from using DRI.

> (II) LoadModule: "GLcore"
> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a
> Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_clip.o": No symbols found
> Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_norm.o": No symbols found
> Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_xform.o": No symbols found
> Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_vertex.o": No symbols found

not relevant but annoying. i get the same messages.

> (II) LoadModule: "pex5"
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module pex5
> (II) UnloadModule: "pex5"
> (EE) Failed to load module "pex5" (module does not exist, 0)

this might be the cause. very mysterious that this is here. pex5 is no
more. remove the line loading the pex5 module.

> (II) LoadModule: "xie"
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module xie
> (II) UnloadModule: "xie"
> (EE) Failed to load module "xie" (module does not exist, 0)

ditto. xie is no more. remove the line loading the xie module.

I tried commenting out the loading of the above 2 modules in my XF86Config-4 file, but that didn't get X started. The associated error messages in the error log are gone, but that seems to be the only change that results. There are now no "EE" error messages in the log, just mostly font warnings.

Ashleigh