2004 Aug 25 09:54

Re: [vox-tech] problem solved!

På onsdag, 25 augusti 2004, skrev Nick Schmalenberger:
> list,
> Thanks Kevin. That link you gave me really helped, and now my problem is
> solved! Before I read that article, I didn't know about make clean. That
> wasn't my real problem though. My problem was that for some reason, one
> of my kernel images had been installed in / instead of /boot/ , and that
> was where lilo was pointed. I don't know how it got that way, but it is
> fixed now. I am now running kernel version 2.6.8.1 and the module
> problem I was talking about a few weeks ago is solved too. Thanks!
>
> Another problem I'm having is a while ago I tried to install postgresql.
> I just did "apt-get install postgresql". It installed a whole bunch of
> stuff, but not the binaries. So, I did "apt-get remove postgresql".
> Besides giving an error about not being able to remove the binaries that
> were never installed in the first place, apt-get also didn't remove a
> cron entry about the postgresql log, which was removed.

I'm confused by the above. I hope these points help:

- If a package breaks with an error during removal, this is often due to
  a bug in a post- or pre-removal script. Those scripts are found in
  /var/lib/dpkg/info/. Consider filing a bug report using the reportbug
  utility if warranted.

- The package 'postgresql' contains the server, whose binary is called
  postmaster. You probably want the client (psql) too. That is found in
  'postgresql-client'.

[...]
> Stuff like this happened to me all the time when I was
> running Windows. I don't think it is a problem with apt-get specifically
> but with any opaque utility. With apt-get and with Microsoft Windows you
> just have to trust it to do the right thing, and a lot of the time, it
> doesn't. That is a lot of why I switched to Linux.
[...]

Frustrating! Note however that most Debian maintainers are responsive to
bug reports. If something is broken, they genuinely want to fix it.

--
Henry House