2004 Aug 25 10:23

Re: [vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 10:01:04PM -0700, Ashleigh Smythe wrote:
> Thanks for the ideas Doug.  I have been just using the nv driver, not
> the nvidia.  I don't seem to have that one (maybe you meant I was to
> get it and install it as a debian package?)  - I get a slightly
> different error when I try to startx with the "nvidia" driver - now
> one of the "EE" errors is "Failed to load module "nvidia" (module
> does not exist).

The nvidia driver is the binary only (closed source) driver from Nvidia
themselves. Your card should work with either one, but you have to
specifically install that on for it to work. That's why you get the
"module does not exist" error.

At least until we you get the problem solved, I'd suggest sticking with the nv driver.

> As for turning off devfs support I'm sorry to say that I don't know
> how to do that - I'll google around about it next.

Probably not necessary since you're not using the nvidia driver...

> I finally got the error log and XF86Config-4 so I'll post those next.

I saw the config posted, but not the log. Unfortunately the log file is
the most important of the two. The actual error messages are the biggest
missing peice of this puzzle right now.