2004 Aug 25 10:23

Re: [vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver

Re: [vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver

Doug Barbieri wrote:

Ashleigh,

I had a similar problem with my laptop. I have an "Nvidia GeForce4 440 Go 64M" with an AMD64 chip (technically, it's an HP Pavilion zv5000 laptop). I was running Debian Sarge with a 2.4.26 kernel for a good deal of time, with X running like a champ. A little while ago I did an "apt-get upgrade", and suddenly X stopped working.

Of course, I was not using the nv driver--rather I am currently using the Nvidia drivers in Debian (in the XF86Config-4 file, you put "nvidia" instead of "nv"). I could not for the life of me figure out why I couldn't get X to run. On a whim, I decided to turn off devfs support and voila, X started working again...

So, my questions to you are, 1) are you using the nvidia drivers and 2) if so, are you running with devfs turned on? If so, you might want to turn off devfs just to see if you still have the same problems.

PS: I even had devfs mounting in a different directory than /dev (/devfs, kinda like what Mandrake does). This still caused the nvidia driver to be unhappy. AND the /dev/nvidia* entries were properly created. Under 2.4.26, the latest Nvidia drivers just don't like devfs for some reason.

Doug Barbieri

Thanks for the ideas Doug. I have been just using the nv driver, not the nvidia. I don't seem to have that one (maybe you meant I was to get it and install it as a debian package?) - I get a slightly different error when I try to startx with the "nvidia" driver - now one of the "EE" errors is "Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist).

As for turning off devfs support I'm sorry to say that I don't know how to do that - I'll google around about it next.

I finally got the error log and XF86Config-4 so I'll post those next.

Thanks,

Ashleigh

Ashleigh B. Smythe
Graduate Research Assistant