2004 Aug 25 00:08

[vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver

[vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver

Hi ya'll. Well I was finding packages a bit outdated with woody so I thought I'd upgrade my home desktop (Dell Dimension 2400 Pentium 4, 2.66 GHz) to sarge. I followed Rick Moen's directions for upgrading potato to woody:

http://www.linuxgazette.com/book/view/686

but I of course modified it for woody to sarge and for using CD's (had downloaded iso's of sarge). So I did the following:

1. I had my sources.list like this:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian woody main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org woody/updates main contrib non-free

2. #apt-get update
#apt-get dist-upgrade

3. I commented out all the deb lines in my sources.list, and then ran apt-cdrom add for the first 7 of the sarge cd's. I checked my sources.list and it was updated fine for each cd.

4. #apt-get update
#apt-get dist-upgrade

This all seemed to go fine, but upon reboot, startx aborts completely and falls back to the command prompt. There is a long log in /var/log/XFree86.0.log with the errors near the end being:

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0:0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

I'm sorry I can't post the whole thing, I don't have a zip drive on my lap top that I'm emailing on right now so the error message is stuck on the desktop (no X, no email). I probably can later tonight if it seems necessary. I've been doing dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 (the XFree86 package is 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) and looking at my XF86Config-4 file and the settings seem to be as they was before in woody when X was working - I'm using the nv driver which worked with my nvidia geforce2 video card. I've also tried not installing the modules that are listed in dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 - like dri and glx but that didn't seem to change anything. One strange thing is that I'm certain there was an option about not using framebuffers that I needed to use to get X to work with woody, but now I don't see it in the xfree86 reconfigure tool or in my XF86Config-4 file - I could be confused about where that was though.

Any suggestions? I've been googling for several hours but I think that error message is pretty generic as people seem to be seeing it for all kinds of things - mice, keyboards, wrong video cards.

Thanks for any help.

Ashleigh
Ashleigh B. Smythe
Graduate Research Assistant