2004 Aug 24 11:43

Re: [vox-tech] Firefox - Web driving me batty

Re: [vox-tech] Firefox - Web driving me batty

Bill Kendrick wrote:
On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 10:28:49AM -0700, Ken Herron wrote:

(1) The browser used by probably 90% of all web surfers doesn't support tabs, or even something like middle-click to open in a new window.

Wow, sucks to be them. :)
It's also just plainly foolish to use Internet Explorer, unless you like remote sites installing tons of adware junk on your computer without your permission. I can give an example: a co-worker and I were talking about who wrote a particluar song. He did a quick google for the name, then clicked on the first link, which boasted the lyrics to the song. He clicked on the link, and we were both looking at the page. Suddenly the browser window maxmized, the window decorations disappeared (even the task bar) and pop-up messages were asking if the user was sure he wanted to install "1800adware", "adblocker" and a bunch of other stuff I lost track of. Even when my coworker declined, it kept popping up the same installation questions over and over again. He finally managed to kill the setup junk (by hard resetting his machine), but it was too late. On reboot we found several icons on his desktop, several new "Program Files" folders and loads of "Run" key registry entries. It took him the rest of the day to purge that junk off his system.

I turned to him and said, "repeat after me--I will *not* use Internet Explorer to surf the web." And he reluctanly repeated it. I got him to install Firefox and he's happy now.

So, it *really* sucks to be them. :-)

--
R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net