2004 Aug 23 09:20

Re: [vox-tech] Firefox - Web driving me batty

Re: [vox-tech] Firefox - Web driving me batty

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
I'm having an awful time getting a web page to display.  The service
advertises "Internet Explorer only", but I've been able to get this to work
under Galeon, so presumably, Firefox is capable of it.

Here's the URL in question.  I don't think you need a proxy to access it:

http://sfx.princeton.edu:9003/sfx_pul?&atitle=NUMERICAL-SOLUTION+OF+THE+TIME-DEPENDENT+SCHRODINGER-EQUATION+IN+SPHERICAL+COORDINATES+BY+FOURIER-TRANSFORM+METHODS&auinit=CE&aulast=DATEO&date=1991&epage=7400&issn=0021-9606&issue=10&sid=ISI:WoK&spage=7392&stitle=J+CHEM+PHYS&volume=95

If you load the page, you'll see:

    Full-text available from "American Institute of Physics Scitation"

where the text in quotes is a link to the article I want to read.  If you
click the link in Firefox, a new browser window pops up with the HTML source
of the page in question.  In other words, it doesn't render the HTML -- it
displays the HTML.

A similar thing happens in Opera.  An xterm pops up with the HTML source code
when I try to follow the link to the article.

Perversely, Galeon seems to do the right thing.  It shows the download /
display page for this article.

Also, Firefox seems to open the page of HTML source in a new browser window.
Aside from the fact that I want it to render the source, I'd also like it to
use another tab within the same window, as opposed to a completely new
browser window.

The link renders fine for me in mozilla-firefox-bin-0.9.1. I, too, get annoyed with links insisting on opening in a new window. Middle-clicking on those links in mozilla/firefox doesn't help either due to the crappy javascript: a tab comes up blank. But in konqueror, there is an option "open links in new tab rather than a new window" which effectively solves this problem (your links render fine for me in konqueror). It's almost enough for me to switch to konqueror for web-browsing, but I'm rather fond of mozilla/firefox.

Jonathan