2004 Aug 23 08:07

Re: [vox-tech] Firefox - Web driving me batty

Re: [vox-tech] Firefox - Web driving me batty

Peter Jay Salzman said the following on 08/23/04 05:09:
I'm having an awful time getting a web page to display.  The service
advertises "Internet Explorer only", but I've been able to get this to work
under Galeon, so presumably, Firefox is capable of it.

Here's the URL in question.  I don't think you need a proxy to access it:

http://sfx.princeton.edu:9003/sfx_pul?&atitle=NUMERICAL-SOLUTION+OF+THE+TIME-DEPENDENT+SCHRODINGER-EQUATION+IN+SPHERICAL+COORDINATES+BY+FOURIER-TRANSFORM+METHODS&auinit=CE&aulast=DATEO&date=1991&epage=7400&issn=0021-9606&issue=10&sid=ISI:WoK&spage=7392&stitle=J+CHEM+PHYS&volume=95

If you load the page, you'll see:

    Full-text available from "American Institute of Physics Scitation"

where the text in quotes is a link to the article I want to read.  If you
click the link in Firefox, a new browser window pops up with the HTML source
of the page in question.  In other words, it doesn't render the HTML -- it
displays the HTML.

A similar thing happens in Opera.  An xterm pops up with the HTML source code
when I try to follow the link to the article.

Perversely, Galeon seems to do the right thing.  It shows the download /
display page for this article.

Also, Firefox seems to open the page of HTML source in a new browser window.
Aside from the fact that I want it to render the source, I'd also like it to
use another tab within the same window, as opposed to a completely new
browser window.

Any ideas on why this strange thing is happening?
Firefox 0.9.3 on my Gentoo system displays the page correctly.

Bruce Wolk