2004 Aug 22 07:01

Re: [vox-tech] new kernel won't install

It isn't really a matter of symlinks. lilo (boot time) doesn't understand
file systems at all. The system time lilo that you run as part of installing
does know how to find the file in its file system and can create a
absolute hardware address to be used by the boot time lilo. GRUB knows
how to read some file systems (probably most of them now) and can
find menu.lst from which it finds the various kernels that are installed.
Whether lilo or grub, I think symlinks would be a bad idea. Many systems
use a boot partition which is put first on the drive to avoid problems
with BIOS limitations (1024 cyl) A symlink might point to a place that
is unreachable at boot time. Even for grub. I believe it is installed for just
the file system in use and a link into another type file system wouldn't
work.

Richard Harke