2004 Aug 21 19:58

Re: [vox-tech] new kernel won't install

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004, Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
[snip]
> If lilo.conf just points to /vmlinuz, why would it have to be
> updated with every new kernel? Wouldn't the old kernel image just be
> replaced by the new kernel image, and the link changed?
[snip]

When you run `lilo`, Lilo makes note of where the real kernel is on the
disk, not the symlink, then boots that kernel next time the computer
boots.  It does this because Lilo doesn't understand symlinks.

Grub does understand symlinks, on the other hand.  This has a drawback,
however, that Grub has to be able to read the partition table, file
system, etc., and any corruption in any of the above prevents Grub from
running the kernel at all.  It also makes Grub bigger, and finding
space on the computer to store all the boot code is a little of a
juggling act.

Lilo, on the other hand, doesn't have either of those problems.  Simpler
design ideally makes Lilo more likely to work properly, and Grub more
prone to breakage, but Grub more user-friendly to use than Lilo.  In
practice, though, both has problems and both are less than user-friendly
(IMO...)

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim