2004 Aug 18 10:24

Re: [vox-tech] Generating the Klingon (tlh) locale?

Re: [vox-tech] Generating the Klingon (tlh) locale?

If you really want, you can force gettext to accept a custom locale.  The
trick is to use putenv() instead of setlocale().  Some minor issues might
creep up if you suddently switch from setlocale() to putenv(), though, so
be sure to run some tests on different environments before releasing a
stable package!

-Mark, in LA, alone, no AC, on dial-up, under Windows!!

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> So, I discovered Melissa has a copy of The Klingon Dictionary, so I
> translated some of the most basic strings in Tux Paint to romanized
> Klingon.  (e.g., everyone's favorite: "Qapla'")
>
> I discovered that there's even an 'official' locale for Klingon, "tlh"
> (it used to be "i-klingon", but that's been deprecated).
> (FYI, "tlh" is for "tlhIngan HoL", which means "Klingon language")
>
> Anyway, unfortunately, Debian's Testing branch seems to be sorely lacking
> this locale, so 'gettext()' fails to let Tux Paint 'switch' to it.  (Do'Ha')
>
> I was wondering if anyone here's familiar enough with locale creation to
> help me generate it, because jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe' (I'm lost!)  ;^)
>
> Thank you  (SoH tlho'),
>
> -bill!
> bill@newbreedsoftware.com            "Roses are red, violets are blue,
> http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/      all of my base are belong to you."