2004 Aug 24 23:37

[vox-tech] Debian Unstable - apt strangeness

[vox-tech] Debian Unstable - apt strangeness

Apt and dpkg seem to have differing views about what packages are
available.  For example:

Dpkg doesn't believe this package exists:

   lucifer# dpkg -l libgimp2.0
   No packages found matching libgimp2.0.

In fact, dpkg is pretty much clueless about gimp in general:

   lucifer# dpkg -l "*gimp*"
   +++-==============-==============-==========================
   un  gimp1.3        <none>         (no description available)

Yet apt-get knows how to get the packages:

   lucifer# apt-get install libgimp2.0
   Reading Package Lists... Done
   Building Dependency Tree... Done
     libgimp2.0
   0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
   Need to get 435kB of archives.
   After unpacking 1950kB of additional disk space will be used.
   Get:1 http://debian.rutgers.edu unstable/main libgimp2.0 2.0.4-1 [435kB]
   Fetched 435kB in 28s (15.1kB/s)
   (snip)

I've never seen this before.  Anyone know what's going on?  Here's my
sources.list (without the line wrap at the bottom of course):

   deb     ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
   deb-src http://perso.wanadoo.fr/debian/      unstable main

   deb     http://debian.rutgers.edu/ unstable main contrib non-free
   deb-src http://debian.rutgers.edu/ unstable main contrib non-free
   deb http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian-non-US/ sid/non-US main
            contrib non-free

I've done apt-get updates a bunch of times, and it happens for more
packages than just gimp.

Why isn't dpkg giving me a comprehensive list for -l "*gimp*"?  On my
testing machines, 'dpkg -l "*gimp*" | wc -l' gives me 112...

Thanks!
Pete