2004 Aug 15 00:42

[vox-tech] LAN pcmcia card is inaccessable in socket 1

[vox-tech] LAN pcmcia card is inaccessable in socket 1

  Dear List,

  I'm still struggling to get my Thinkpad 701C (24 MB ram) set up as a
router. It now boots with the vanilla kernel 2.6.7 from the Debian testing
sources, but the second ethernet card (in pcmcia socket 1) is not
accessible. Cardmgr gives this output on booting:

[...]
Linux Kernel Card Services
Intel ISA PCIC probe:
  Cirrus PD672x ISA-to-PCMCIA at port 0x3e0 ofs 0x00, 2 sockets
    host opts [0]: [ring] [65/6/3] [1/15/3]
    host opts [1]: [ring] [freq bypass] [65/6/3] [1/15/3]
    ISA irqs (default) = 3,4,5,9,10,11,12 polling interval = 1000 ms
cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0800-0x08ff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
cs: memory probe 0x0d0000-0x0dffff: clean.
NET: Registered protocol family 10
Disabled Privacy Extensions on device c02c3f00(lo)
IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
pcnet_cs: RequestWindow: Resource in use
eth0: NE2000 Compatible: io 0x300, irq 3, hw_addr 00:80:C6:ED:7B:1E
cs: unable to map card memory!
cs: unable to map card memory!
cs: unable to map card memory!
cs: unable to map card memory!
cs: unable to map card memory!
cs: unable to map card memory!

ifconfig eth1 says the device is not found.

cardctl ident gives:

Socket 0:
  product info: "PCMCIA", "Ethernet", "", ""
  function: 6 (network)
Socket 1:
  no product info available

The card in socket 0 is a 3com LAN card, and the one in socket 1 is
sohoware, but if the cards are switched between the sockets, socket 1
still doesn't work after reboot. Both cards work fine under kernel 2.2.20.
Searching google for answers turned up suggestions to add ether=0,0,eth1
to the boot options, purge and reinstall pcmcia-cs or modify the memory
ranges in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts, but these changes had no effect. I'm
unclear about what memory range to specify, since the one for card
services in /proc/iomem:

00000000-0009efff : System RAM
000a0000-000bffff : Video RAM area
000c0000-000c9fff : Video ROM
000d0000-000d0fff : card services
000f0000-000fffff : System ROM
00100000-017fffff : System RAM
  00100000-002477be : Kernel code
  002477bf-002f6dff : Kernel data

doesn't match the ones in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts:
include memory 0xc0000-0xfffff
include memory 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff
include memory 0x60000000-0x60ffffff

Pulling and reinserting the card(s), or inserting the card(s) after
booting, does not make socket 1 operable. My current hunch is that there
is another memory range I need to specify, or that the card in socket 1 is
being misrecognized as a memory card. Any hints would be greatly
appreciated.

  Thanks,

    Chris