2004 Aug 17 04:52

[vox-tech] HIGHMEM enabled kernel

Output from dmesg:
Warning only 896MB will be used.
Use a HIGHMEM enabled kernel.
896MB LOWMEM available.

Is HIGHMEM a module that can be loaded at boot time or do I need to
recompile a new kernel?
What do I need to do to utilize all 2GB of RAM and why doesn't the Debian
installer automatically configure the new kernel to use more than 896MB of
RAM?  It's kind of a bummer to have to do that kind of reconfiguration on a
fresh install.

I used a Debian installer from 20040719.  The kernel version is
2.4.25-1-386.

Joey

Joseph Karalius
Research Assistant II - Bioinformatics