2004 Aug 11 11:22

Re: [vox-tech] eth0 troubles

Quoting Karalius, Joseph (Joseph.Karalius@seminis.com):

> The PCI ID is on my /usr/share/misc/pci.ids
> lspci correctly lists the hardware, but does lspci do anything else but read
> the ID, and then get the name from the above file?  I could change the name
> in the pci.ids file to 'Joey's F'd up gigE' and it wouldn't affect the
> operation, or lack thereof?

Quite right.  I've posted about this, separately (hoping to clear up any
confusion I might have created).

The advantage of having pci.ids up to date is strictly to render the
output of lspci (and similar utilities) more informative, which is
sometimes the key to solving hardware problems.

> Is there a standard tool for diagnosis, or do I need to keep looking for
> this one file?

To my knowledge, each NIC poses a separate problem in that area.  That's
why I used to keep a copy of 3C5X9CFG.EXE around to configure and
troubleshoot 3Com 3C509/3C509B cards (a good ol' ISA 10 Mbps design).