2004 Aug 10 16:53

[vox-tech] eth0 troubles

I'm continuing this thread from a few weeks back:

The lights don't come on the onboard gigE port of an Optiplex GX270 when a
tested cable is plugged into a tested port. Intel 82540EM rev02 chipset.

/etc/network/interfaces is identical to the other Optiplex GX270 of the same
network - in fact, all network settings are identical (as far as I can
tell).

Knoppix cannot configure eth0 on this machine, and I tested that version of
Knoppix on the other Optiplex.

I've used Debian install disks as current as 7/16/04 and as early as Nov.
2003, even the one I used successfully on another Optiplex GX270, same
chipset, could not configure eth0.

I've downloaded, modprobed, insmodded, and depmodded e1000 using as many
versions as I could find (including the newest), still,
no lights in back, and of course no DHCPOFFERS come back.  The DHCP server
is responding to requests on other machines.

A user who has experience with the machine in its former WinXP life told me
that he noticed intermittent network access while using.

I'm starting to think that the onboard gigE has actually busted.  I have no
experience diagnosing onboard hardware and the like, but what are my choices
now?  How do I verify that this is in fact the problem, in case I need to
send this box back?

Joey

Joseph Karalius
Research Assistant II - Bioinformatics