2004 Aug 10 14:57

Re: [vox-tech] SSH question

(Top posting in this case for flow and order of procedure)

As others have covered different parts, I'll try to avoid repeating what
they have written:

Make sure that the ssh service is running:
$ ps -auxw | grep sshd

Make sure it is listening to the ssh port:
$ netstat -a | grep ssh
should give you something like:
tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN

Make sure the error in connecting is actually from a filtering rule:
$ telnet IP-ADDRESS-OF-SERVER 22
(Example:)
Trying IP-ADDRESS-OF-SERVER...
Connected to HOSTNAME.
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.8p1

(Now to exit out of this telnet session, press control hold it down and
then press "]" and then press return and you should see:
telnet>

Then type "quit":
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

If you can't get any response from the telnet, and it just hangs, then you
should first inspect iptables/ipchains and then /etc/hosts.deny as
suggested by Rod and Bill.

If you can connect to the ssh service that is running, and it is ssh that