2004 Aug 10 16:37

Re: [vox-tech] SSH question

On Tue 10 Aug 04,  2:24 PM, Matthew Lange <matthewlange@hotmail.com> said:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm helping a friend back-up his files on his RH 8 machine.  I'm trying
> to SSH in, but getting denied.  I tried using the RH GUI to adjust the
> firewall settings to allow incoming SSH sessions, but after they appear
> to set, they then revert to the most restrictive settings (disallowing
> all).
>
> Unfortunately, I can't remember the config file(s) that I need to adjust
> manually to allow SSH access, can anyone help?
>
> It's just a vanilla install--btw, we are backing up so that we can move
> to a Debian install.
>

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Matthew

Welcome to Debian, btw.

Take a look at /etc/ssh.  In particular, /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

Don't forget about your log files.  Make sure there's nothing in auth or
syslog.  Doubtful it'll be in messages.  Log files should be the first
thing you look at, even before Googling.

Don't forget about ssh options.  Did you know that ssh has a "verbose"
option?  Check it out.

Don't forget about tcpdump.  You probably won't learn anything useful
from it, but you may.  "tcpdump -i ethX tcp port ssh" may tell you
something interesting.

As Bill said, you can check out the tcpwrapper files, but I doubt that's
relevent here.

Also, please do not start a new thread by replying to an old one and
changing the subject line.  Many of us use threaded mailers like mutt.
It's kinda annoying.  Thanks.

HTH
Pete