2004 Aug 08 13:39

Re: [vox-tech] Lilo Bye Ta-ta

På söndag, 08 augusti 2004, skrev Peter Jay Salzman:
[...]
> Anyway, I take Debian's switch to grub as a sign.  I know nothing about
> grub other than it looks considerably more complicated than lilo, and
> I'd like to limit the number of new things to learn at this point in my
> life.

You have a good point here.

> Are there any *real* benefits of using grub in lieu of lilo?

Yes. If you botch a kernel installation, grub will continue to work. There
are few opportunities in normal system administration to mess up grub as
there are with lilo.  Grub is installed once, then good for the life of your
hard drive. I also have found it handy to use grub to edit the kernel
arguments at boot-time. (I know that one can input extra arguments to lilo,
but AFAIK the lilo prompt provides no way to delete existing arguments
configured in the bootloader's configuration file; grub does.)

--
Henry House