January 6: Social gathering
2004 Aug 06 09:43

Re: [vox-tech] Losing keyboard and mouse between boots

Re: [vox-tech] Losing keyboard and mouse between boots

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
On Thu 05 Aug 04, 10:00 PM, Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com> said:

On Thursday 05 August 2004 09:32 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

They're both hooked up to ps/2.
A bit of googling turns up many varied and interesting
reports on this board, but nothing I can see precisely about
your problem.  I get the sense that ABit is debugging the
thing as they sell it.
You know, this might actually be a pretty good description of reality.

The keyboard is strictly ps/2. The mouse is the gamer's "Boomslang
Razor". It's USB, but I had got a USB<->ps/2 converter on it, and have
been using it on the ps/2 port.

I just took the connector off and plugged the mouse into the USB port.

I've now rebooted MS Win2k 4 times without losing the mouse and
keyboard.

Whatever is happening only seems to happen when the mouse and keyboard
are both ps/2. A BIOS bug is certainly within the realm of possibility.

I seem to recall having trouble with a usb-ps/2 convector on one of my mice awhile back. Basically, it wouldn't work at all using the convector, but worked fine as a usb. I don't remember the details at all, so this probably doesn't help much. But I've since wondered about the viability of those usb-ps/2 converters and only use usb mice in usb ports. Have you tried a standard ps/2 mouse, no usb-ps/2 converter? Anyone else have trouble with usb-ps/2 converters?

Jonathan