2004 Aug 06 10:11

[vox-tech] Wierd networking issues in Debian, 2.6.7 kernel version

[vox-tech] Wierd networking issues in Debian, 2.6.7 kernel version

Hey all,

I've got an HP Pavillion z5000 laptop which I dual boot with Debian
testing. I have two Linux kernel versions loaded: 2.4.26 and 2.6.7.
In order to get my built-in wireless working, I'm using ndiswrapper. I
also run ifplugd and waproamd.

In the 2.4.26 kernel version, networking is very happy. I can do both
ethernet and wireless no problem. However, when I boot into 2.6.7 (a
stock debian kernel), I can transfer packets for a while, then my
networking just "locks up." This happens with both the ethernet and
wireless, respectively. If I boot up, not load the ndiswrapper driver,
and just try to do ethernet, the same thing happens. Then, while eth0 is
locked up, I can modprobe ndiswrapper and move packets across the
wireless...for a bit before it too locks up. I can bring down ifplugd
and waproamd, unload the interfaces and the modules, but when I  try to
bring anything back up, networking is hosed until I reboot.

Any suggestions as to what I should try? I get absolutely nothing
helpful in dmesg or /var/log/syslog. Ken Bloom, Gabriel Rosa and I sat
at Crepeville after the meeting for a couple of hours trying to work
this out, to no avail.

Thanks!

--
R. Douglas Barbieri