January 6: Social gathering
2004 Aug 02 18:11

Re: [vox-tech] Samsung ML1710: "Unable to open USB device"usb:/dev/usb/lp0"

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 02:52:51AM -0700, Issac Trotts wrote:
> This printer was working great before, but not anymore.
> Here is what I get in the Cupsys web interface:

>     Location: room
>     Printer State: stopped, accepting jobs.
>     "Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp0": No such device"
>     Device URI: usb:/dev/usb/lp0
>
> It won't print a test page from the web interface, but it will if I
> hold down the only button on the printer.  The usb coord is plugged in
> but the printer doesn't show up in lsusb:
>
> $ lsusb
> Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 004 Device 002: ID 045e:0053 Microsoft Corp.
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> I also don't see it when I bring up usbview.
>
> I installed the latest ML1710 driver from Samsung after the printer
> stopped working, but it hasn't done any noticable good.
> Running modprobe printer also doesn't help.
>
> Samsung's gui program llpr tells me that the printer is disabled,
> but when I click on the Properties button to find a way to enable,
> it spews out some verbiage and then crashes:
>
>     Caught fatal signal 11!! Aborting.
>     Process 1824 Stack dump:

Huh! *Just* bought a Samsung printer (CLP-500) yesterday. Just got
around to reading my e-mail.

BTW, is it just me, or is the concept of an lpr that waits for a user
to make selections on a GUI just really irritating? Good thing it has
a --no-gui option...

Unfortunately, I'm using mine via parallel port, so I probably can't
be much help. However, I did experience the same thing with the
Properties button that you're talking about: it seems that it crashes
like that when the currently selected (or maybe current default)
printer is not a Samsung printer... At any rate, it's more or less
just a "Page Setup..." dialog, so really only useful once you've got
your printer set up already.

If the printer doesn't show up in your USB devices, then I don't
believe you can proceed forward until it does. Are you certain the USB
cord is still good? Can you get a Windoze machine to recognize it?

Good luck!

--
Micah J. Cowan
micah@cowan.name