January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jul 31 03:12

Re: [vox-tech] Samsung ML1710: "Unable to open USB device"usb:/dev/usb/lp0"

On Sat 31 Jul 04,  2:52 AM, Issac Trotts <ijtrotts@ucdavis.edu> said:
> This printer was working great before, but not anymore.
> Here is what I get in the Cupsys web interface:

>     Location: room
>     Printer State: stopped, accepting jobs.
>     "Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp0": No such device"
>     Device URI: usb:/dev/usb/lp0
>
> It won't print a test page from the web interface, but it will if I
> hold down the only button on the printer.  The usb coord is plugged in
> but the printer doesn't show up in lsusb:
>
> $ lsusb
> Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 004 Device 002: ID 045e:0053 Microsoft Corp.
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> I also don't see it when I bring up usbview.
>
> I installed the latest ML1710 driver from Samsung after the printer
> stopped working, but it hasn't done any noticable good.
> Running modprobe printer also doesn't help.
>
> Samsung's gui program llpr tells me that the printer is disabled,
> but when I click on the Properties button to find a way to enable,
> it spews out some verbiage and then crashes:
>
>     Caught fatal signal 11!! Aborting.
>     Process 1824 Stack dump:

> I'm out of ideas at the moment.

hi issac,

some random thoughts:

have you looked for USB relevent messages in dmesg and
/var/log/messages?

since this is a usb printer, what happens when you unplug/replug the
printer back in?

if you built the usb system as a modular system, what does lsmod look
like?  any modules that are obviously missing?

speaking of modules, any errors in dmesg related to modules that you
don't recognize?

is your usb system still getting assigned an interrupt?

do you have any other USB devices?  are they recognized on this system?

using something like samsung's gui program doesn't seem fruitful to me.
the first rule of hardware is that it has to be seen before you can do
anything with it (like loading a driver, for instance).  it sounds like
the the printer isn't being seen.

this sounds more like a USB problem than a printer problem...

pete

--
In theory, theory and practise are the same.  In practise, they aren't.