2004 Jul 28 19:03

Re: [vox-tech] Re: vox-tech Digest, Vol 2, Issue 41

Re: [vox-tech] Re: vox-tech Digest, Vol 2, Issue 41

I decided to stick with "realvnc".  The viewer seems to work with
enlightenment better; tightvnc had issues with "fullscreen" going all
the way down to the bottom of the screen.  It also had issues with
responding to F-8, which is supposed to bring up the vncviewer menu.

I also read that recent versions of realvnc (>3.3.3) also use
compression and should be as fast as tightvnc.  So in the interest of
saving time, I just stuck with realvnc.

On Tue 27 Jul 04,  1:08 PM, Norm Matloff <matloff@cs.ucdavis.edu> said:

> I've been using VNC for about a year now.  When I am away from home and
> office and accessing my office Linux box from public terminals (which
> alas, are always MS Wins), VNC is invaluable.  However, I am also
> frustrated by its minor shortcomings, such as:
>
>    * Certain control characters, notably ctrl-a, do not seem to work.

Wierd.  Which vnc are you using?  I opened a gvim instance and was able
to pass a control-a to gvim.

>    * Occasionally the windowing system of the client gets so hopelessly
>      messed up that the client needs to be rebooted.

Yuck.  Thankfully, I haven't seen that yet (although I've only been
using VNC for a few hours how).

>    * Since VNC by definition is trying to fit a whole desktop screen
>      into a browser space, one must do scrolling, and this becomes
>      quite annoying.

Yeah.  But when it gets too annoying, I switch both desktops to the same
resolution.  They're normally almost the same anyhow.

>    * VNC does tend to be slow.

Yeah, a bit.  I wouldn't run any games, but for something like visual
C++, I'm finding that it's good enough.

Pete