January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jul 28 08:32

[vox-tech] Re: vox-tech Digest, Vol 2, Issue 41

[vox-tech] Re: vox-tech Digest, Vol 2, Issue 41

I've been using VNC for about a year now.  When I am away from home and
office and accessing my office Linux box from public terminals (which
alas, are always MS Wins), VNC is invaluable.  However, I am also
frustrated by its minor shortcomings, such as:

   * Certain control characters, notably ctrl-a, do not seem to work.

   * Occasionally the windowing system of the client gets so hopelessly
     messed up that the client needs to be rebooted.

   * Since VNC by definition is trying to fit a whole desktop screen
     into a browser space, one must do scrolling, and this becomes
     quite annoying.

   * VNC does tend to be slow.

Moreover, the documentation is not very good at all.  It is not clear,
for instance, how to configure the windowing on a Linux server.

Norm Matloff