2004 Jul 27 14:20

Re: [vox-tech] multiple OS's on one computer

on Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 12:12:40PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning a system that has a few different Linux distros that I want
> to try, in addition to Debian.  Seems like a good thing to have separate
> partitions to share between them.  First order approximation was:
>
>    /home
>    /usr/local
>    /boot

Note that if you share /boot, you'll want to manage kernels from only
one OS.

Another option is to use UML to boot different distros, also avoiding
the need to reboot.

Depending on finances, an 80 - 300GB drive can be had for a $100+,
and should avoid the need to reboot while providing an adequate (6-10
GB) allocation per distro for a pretty full-fleged install.  Handle the
systems as images.

You can use networking to access other drives (/home, /usr/local) from
the UML systems.

> Lastly, I was toying around with the idea of installing bona-fide DOS
> onto a partition to do some debugging of DOSEMU.

Not necessary.

Dosemu works on a virtual partition which can simply be a directory
tree.  I've got a few apps installed under same.  And yes, they install
just fine.

DOSEMU's a little squirrley with perms between privileged and
nonpriveleged users, but mostly works.  I find the FreeDOS install works
better than alternatives (I've failed to get either MSDOS 6.x or DrDOS
running).

> [1] At work, I have to use Outlook, and I'm absolutely miserable.

Hrm.  Feature?  Bug?  ....

> So miserable that sometimes I'll open up gvim, compose my message, and
> cut and paste into Outlook.
>
> As an act of desperation, I did a Google search for "vim Outlook" and
> found there's some kind of plugin for Outlook that gives you a vimish
> editor to work with.  Definitely on my list of things to do.

Depending on how your Exchange server's set up, you can access it via
POP3 and/or IMAP.  This should allow you to use the Linux mailer of your
picking.  The tough part is tracking down your user authentication.
See:

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/Know/ExchangePop3Authenticationo

...I haven't worked out the IMAP config yet, but am using mutt at work.

> --
> In theory, theory and practise are the same.  In practise, they aren't.

...and in the US, it's "practice".

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.