2004 Jul 26 19:14

Re: [vox-tech] VNC - awesome!

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:18:25 -0700
Rob Rogers <rob@wizardstower.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 06:25:24PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > 2. The server is a win2k machine.  When using VNC, the machine is
> >    taken over; you can't log in at the console.  Is there a way to make
> >    Win2k multi-user?  I was under the impression that this OS is
> >    considered by Microsoft to be a server class OS.  Can't more than
> >    one person log in?  Is there a registry setting or something?
> >    Sorry.  I really don't know much about Windows.  This is probably
> >    a really dumb question.
>
> MS has a different view on things than your standard UNIX user.
> Remember, Windows is all about the GUI. Up through Win2K, I don't
> believe there's really any way for multiple users to be logged onto
> the same computer at a time. I believe with WinXP this may have
> changed, but I don't know the details (I haven't even touched a WinXP
> box yet).

Good for you! I have touched WinXP, and lived to tell the tale. WinXP
allows you to go Start -> Log Out, and click "Switch User" in the dialog
box that appears. On the login screen, after that, you'll see that the
user is now listed as "Logged in" or having "2 programs running". You
can click on another user and log in. And if you want you can log out
the same way until you have every user logged on your machine logged in
exactly once.

Where did the ability to do this come from? I'd bet that the ability to
run GUI apps offscreen originally came from Terminal Server.