2004 Jul 25 22:50

Re: [vox-tech] On my boxes, Windows is outperforming Debian innetwork speed

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Issac Trotts wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 12:24:00AM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > Don't put 127.0.0.1 as any of the name servers.
>
> Why not?  I have bind installed, and it gives me a big speedup on
> name lookups when I put the line in my resolv.conf.  At least it does
> now...  I don't know what was going wrong before.

Well, have you configured your local DNS server?  If not, it's useless to
use 127.0.0.1 as a DNS server.

If you *have* configured the local DNS server, then you know that the
local DNS server needs to fetch DNS of external hosts from somewhere
outside of your network, and that's an extra routing that should SLOW DOWN
your queries, not make it faster.  Unless, of course, there's caching,
which I guess may be what's happening.

Either way, it appears to me that adding 127.0.0.1 is not targetting the
root of the speed problem, just creating a way around it.  But if
everything works fine now it's probably best to leave it alone... =P

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius