2004 Jul 25 19:28

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Quoting Jonathan Stickel (jjstickel@sbcglobal.net):

> Accelerated 3D rendering is helpful to have for other things than just
> games.

Yes.  I did say "primarily gamer" and "gamer (*cough* and other)".  I do
recognise that visualisation and some other science work is another area
of genuine need for that functionality.

> Part of the reason I suggest Nvidia graphics cards for Linux users is
> because of proprietary drivers that /work/.

A data point:  The Linux kernel team was obliged to start the entire
infrastructure of tracking "tainted modules" in part because of useless
bug reports from Nvidia users, whose systems were fscked up by
Nvidia's proprietary modules.   So, the kernel team were obliged to come
up with a way of detecting those situations, did so, and they now make
very clear that they will summarily disregard any bug reports from such
users.  (Why?  Because too much time had been wasted chasing down what
turned out to be Nvidia bugs.)

Reports about Radeon 9200-series cards and the open-source DRI drivers
continue to be good.

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!