2004 Jul 25 09:17

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Ashleigh Smythe wrote:
Quoting Rick Moen:

Oh, everyone has opinions.  ;->  Mine are a little out of date on the
current state of video, because, one, I don't buy often, and two, I
couldn't care less about whizbang 3D graphics features that are all the
rage among people truly impassioned about these things.[1]

I too am not in need of 3D - I don't play games at all. This is why I thought I'd skip getting the graphics card and figured I'd be fine with the integrated graphics - I just need X to run Lyx (LaTeX frontend), mozilla, OpenOffice, and Ximian Evolution - just about everything else I do is at the command line.

Accelerated 3D rendering is helpful to have for other things than just games. I do 3D visualization as part of my graduate research, and rotating the objects is painfully slow without fast 3D. But for your stated needs, you probably don't really need it. A 32 MB ATI or Nvidia card would probably do just fine for you, and would be cheap too.

Part of the reason I suggest Nvidia graphics cards for Linux users is because of proprietary drivers that /work/. As long as they continue to provide Linux support their products as they currently do, I will in turn support them. Installing their drivers is easy: download the latest script from the website, execute it, and make 2 small changes to XF86Config.

Jonathan