2004 Jul 25 00:18

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

Quoting Rick Moen:

Ja. Ashleigh, if you want to know for sure, then crack open the case
(with the power cord yanked) and unscrew & extract the PCI modem card.
Jot down whatever writing's on the largest chip on that card. I'll bet
it says "Conexant", thus confirming my strong suspicion that you have a
winmodem based on the Conexant "HSP" chipset. (I doubt the chip will
have "HSP" written on it. That's a model _series_. But you'd see some
letters and numbers that essentially indicate HSP, when/if you looked
_those_ up.)

OK - I popped the hood to find out the bad news - I bought a winmodem. The chip on the pci card said:
CX11256-11
A103801.12
0353 Korea

I couldn't find it on Rob Clark's database at:
http://freewebhosting.hostdepartment.com/g/gromitkc/winmodem.html

But I did find something close at:

http://www.modem-help.com/chips.php

It seems my chip is in this family:

CX11256-?? [SCM] Conexant SmartHSFi V.92 Soft

And I think Rick mentioned that the HSF indicates a winmodem (and the Soft sounds pretty telling too)!

So now I think I'll agree with Rick and bail on the winmodem and get a "real" modem. Funny that I had a winmodem in my old windows machine that I wanted to upgrade to linux. Part of what inspired me to get a new computer is that I figured it wouldn't have a winmodem like my old computer, solving one of my barriers to running linux! Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Ashleigh
Ashleigh B. Smythe
Graduate Research Assistant
Department of Nematology