2004 Jul 24 11:55

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip]

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Ashleigh Smythe wrote:

> I managed to install and activate a later kernel from my woody CD as
> you suggested Rick, and now uname -r shows that I am running kernel
> 2.4.18-686-smp (I wasn't really sure which of the pentium IV 2.4
> kernels to choose so I took a shot on that one).  Nothing seems to
> have changed with respect to the video card or modem - tried various
> combinations of things in the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-x86 tool for
> the video card problem and have run pppconfig also to no avail.

Any kernel that ends in "-smp" is for computers with more than one CPU
inside the system unit.  This is probably NOT the version you want...

> I realize that Rick now thinks that I don't have a winmodem,

If I'm following this thread correctly, he now think that you *do* have a
Winmodem...

> I downloaded the hcfpcimodem driver (the last free
> one! from http://www.int21.de/conexant/) and am trying to install it
> but running "make install" as the INSTALL file gives me an error that
> I need to edit a file to show it where the kernel source is.  I don't
> reckon that I have the sources, so I tried apt-get source --download
> kernel-image-2.4.18-686-smp but I get the error "Sorry, you must put
> some 'source' URIs in your sources.list".  I figure that is
> etc/apt/sources.list but I don't know what is meant by 'source' URIs.
> I can try to google that out next.

For example, take a line that says:

   deb  http://http.us.debian.org/debian/  stable  main  contrib

and add a line that says:

   deb-src  http://http.us.debian.org/debian/  stable  main  contrib

so you end up with two lines per "deb" line instead of one:

   deb  http://http.us.debian.org/debian/  stable  main  contrib
   deb-src  http://http.us.debian.org/debian/  stable  main  contrib

In addition to downloading the kernel source, you may need to download the
kernel headers.  Usually, these source files are stored in this
arrangement:

   /usr/src/linux -> the kernel sources
   /usr/src/linux/include -> the kernel headers

Usually the files that say they want the kernel "sources" only want the
kernel headers, so I just have a symlink for /usr/src/linux/include
pointing to the untargz'ed kernel headers.

> I'll keep working on this route and also maybe try dell again to see
> if I can extract more information from them about the _true_nature_
> of my modem!

Good luck!

-Mark

--