2004 Jul 24 07:42

[vox-tech] X

list,
Vesafb works now. When I said it was disabled before, I meant it wasn't
in the kernel. Before when it didn't work but was in the kernel, I
wasn't giving it the mode arguments, maybe that is what error 6 means.
So now vesafb works. I got firefox to work, installed with apt-get. I
just had to fiddle with /etc/apt/sources.list some more. Firefox still
seems better than Mozilla, but it still does the scroll-ahead thing
sometimes. Then I did an
"apt-get upgrade" and maybe that fixed some things. It brought my X up
to 4.3 from 4.1. X still does the dark thing if I switch back to it from
a different virtual console. It is dark right now, but I can still see
what I'm doing. Also, I can't start any programs in X that would run in
an Xterm. I suppose that that has to do with the X upgrade. The X server
says that 4.3 is prerelease.

About the modules, I do have /System.map which links
to /System.map-2.6.7 . In /var/log/syslog are these entries:

Jul 22 22:02:33 gwaihir2 kernel: Loaded 28020 symbols from
/System.map-2.6.7.
Jul 22 22:02:33 gwaihir2 kernel: Symbols match kernel version 2.6.7.
Jul 22 22:02:33 gwaihir2 kernel: No module symbols loaded - kernel
modules not enabled.

(I couldn't paste those three lines in X because I can't get an
Xterm, so I grepped them outside of X to a textfile and read that
with firefox. The regexp I used was [Ss]ymbol . That is the first
time I've really used regexps and I feel clever now.)
So why aren't the module symbols loaded?
Nick Schmalenberger