2004 Jul 26 10:31

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip

På fredag, 23 juli 2004, skrev Ashleigh Smythe:
> Hello!  I just got a new Dell (Dimension 2400, Pentium 4, 2.66 GHz)
> and managed to perform my first Linux install with Debian Woody (I got
> it too late for your installfest :( ).  I think the OS installed fine,
> but I'm having some problems configuring and I hoped some of you gurus
> could offer some suggestions:
>
> 1.  I can get the Xserver to start but only with the resolution and
[...]

I cannot make any useful suggestions about this, except to offer a spare PCI
video card (old, not of very high resolution) that I would be happy to give
you. Please mail me off-list if you are interested.

> 2.  I can't get the modem to even attempt a dial.  It is a 56K PCI
[...]

I recommend trying the 'pppconfig' utility, in the Debian package of the
same name. It has always worked well for me. The syntax of the various
configuration files is not extremely friendly to hand-editing.

> 3.  Finally, in trying to configure an old Iomega zip100 drive, the
> debian.org howto says to append the following line to
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:
>
> # Enable the Zip drive
> /sbin/modprobe ppa  # imm for recent models
>
> Only I don't have that rc.d directory in my /etc.  Any suggestions?

Test using 'modprobe ppa' or 'modprobe imm'; once you know which module
works, you can install it permanently (i.e., at every boot-up) by adding its
name (on a line by itself) to /etc/modules.

--
Henry House