2004 Jul 23 10:40

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip

Re: [vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip

You've already received some good help, but see my comments below.

Ashleigh Smythe wrote:
<snip>
1. I can get the Xserver to start but only with the resolution and color depth very low. My graphics card is an integrated Intel 3D AGP card (Intel 828456) and it is not listed in the set-up choices so I chose vga at the suggestion of the aboutdebian.org installation tutorial I was following. I think I got the correct driver for my card from intel (intelgraphics_060704) but the README instructions are only for the .rpm version of the file - there is no indication of where I should put the file or what else I need to configure to get it to work.
My wife got a Dell for technical computing recently with one of these onboard intel graphics cards. They are terrible! In Linux she had the same symptoms you are having and spent 3 days trying to fix it before giving up. I really recommend going to Fry's and getting a 64MB Nvidia card for less than $40. First, make sure you have an open AGP slot on your motherboard (hopefully you do).

2. I can't get the modem to even attempt a dial. It is a 56K PCI Telephony modem (internal) but a friend called Dell and they insist it is not a winmodem and that it should work. I followed several tutorials that showed me how to configure ppp by editing /etc/ppp/peers/provider and /etc/chatscripts/provider but I'm not sure I know which ttyS my modem is on so I kept trying /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1 but still no dialing. When I type pon and the plog I get "pppd 2.4.1 started by root" and then pretty much all the abort messages from the provider files: abort on busy, abort on no carrier, abort on voice, abort on no dialtone, send(ATZW2^M), expect (OK). Sorry I can't post the exact message - can't connect from that machine! How can I find out where my modem is (what serial port it is on)? A friend was helping me and he thinks that may be the problem.

Please send the output of "lspci". That way we might know what type of chipset it is.

Jonathan