2004 Jul 23 10:57

[vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip

[vox-tech] Debian configuration: X and modem and zip

Hello! I just got a new Dell (Dimension 2400, Pentium 4, 2.66 GHz) and managed to perform my first Linux install with Debian Woody (I got it too late for your installfest :( ). I think the OS installed fine, but I'm having some problems configuring and I hoped some of you gurus could offer some suggestions:

1. I can get the Xserver to start but only with the resolution and color depth very low. My graphics card is an integrated Intel 3D AGP card (Intel 828456) and it is not listed in the set-up choices so I chose vga at the suggestion of the aboutdebian.org installation tutorial I was following. I think I got the correct driver for my card from intel (intelgraphics_060704) but the README instructions are only for the .rpm version of the file - there is no indication of where I should put the file or what else I need to configure to get it to work.

2. I can't get the modem to even attempt a dial. It is a 56K PCI Telephony modem (internal) but a friend called Dell and they insist it is not a winmodem and that it should work. I followed several tutorials that showed me how to configure ppp by editing /etc/ppp/peers/provider and /etc/chatscripts/provider but I'm not sure I know which ttyS my modem is on so I kept trying /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1 but still no dialing. When I type pon and the plog I get "pppd 2.4.1 started by root" and then pretty much all the abort messages from the provider files: abort on busy, abort on no carrier, abort on voice, abort on no dialtone, send(ATZW2^M), expect (OK). Sorry I can't post the exact message - can't connect from that machine! How can I find out where my modem is (what serial port it is on)? A friend was helping me and he thinks that may be the problem.

3. Finally, in trying to configure an old Iomega zip100 drive, the debian.org howto says to append the following line to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:

# Enable the Zip drive
/sbin/modprobe ppa # imm for recent models

Only I don't have that rc.d directory in my /etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any ideas or pointers to more tutorials etc.

Ashleigh

Ashleigh B. Smythe
Graduate Research Assistant
Department of Nematology