2004 Jul 23 09:02

Re: [vox-tech] Debian Unstable: XMMS acting funny?, Mozilla keypadno work, etc.

Re: [vox-tech] Debian Unstable: XMMS acting funny?, Mozilla keypadno work, etc.

Mark K. Kim wrote:
Is anyone else's Debian unstable system acting funny with XMMS?  My XMMS
just goes through the playlist like it's just a list to be skipped around
(none of the songs play, but I see the highlights moving through the
list.)

I don't use Debian, but when I first started using xmms along time ago this happened to me. I turned out that the output plugin was incorrectly selected to be "disk writer" which converts your playlist to wav files! I don't know if this is your problem or not.

This happened with a Debian unstable upgrade a couple days ago.  I just
upgraded again but it's not working.  Anyone else having a similar
trouble?

On a sidenote, my Mozilla won't take inputs from the keypad.  It's been
like that since my last-last upgrade.  Anyone having a similar trouble?

AWWWWWWW~ I hate Debian unstable upgrades!!!  Is Gentoo better at this
than Debian?  'cuz I'm really tempted to make the transition of Gentoo
doesn't have problems like this.

Gentoo basically has two release levels for its "packages" (actually just scripts to build stuff from source): stable and testing. I use stable but select some testing packages. Gentoo stable is generally much more up-to-date than Debian stable! Upgrades go well most of the time, but sometimes there are bugs that prevent a package from building. Often these problems have simple fixes. But most importantly, once things are built there is almost never a problem with functionality.

Jonathan